Extraction can be defined as the removal of soluble material from insoluble residues, a extraction process depends on the mass transfer phenomena.
Solvent extraction is also known as liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) and partitioning. It is a method to separate compounds based on their relative solubilities in two different immiscible liquids, usually water (POLAR) and an organic solvent (NON-POLAR).
- It is an efficient way of removing pollutants or products from an aqueous mixture.
- Extraction of high boiling organics from wastewater.
- Essential oils extractions and proteins purifications.
- Recycling of toxic solvents is a costly process and that puts challenge of process implementation in large scale industry.
- Solvent extraction process always needs further purification such as distillation or second extraction, which makes process further more complicated and expensive.